When most people think of a composer, they imagine someone sitting in a dusty attic with a grand piano, big white wig, and the year is 1800. That might have been accurate back then, but the modern composer is just like you and me. In fact, I am one.
In this class, we will cover:
- My background, and listen to some of my music
- The different between music theory and music composition (highly opinionated!)
- Tools of the trade: Software
- Tools of the trade: Pencils and fine paper
- How do you start?
- The process
- Program music and metaphors
- Character sketches
- Writing through canon
- Binary, Ternary, and Rondo forms
- Starting with a plan
- Graphic form representations
- Triads, and basic rules of harmony
- Chord progressions
- Song analysis
- Melody writing
- Any much, much, more!
And of course, once you sign up for this «section» of the class, future sections will come to you at steep discounts! Over half off for all future sections!
You will not have another opportunity to learn Music Composition in a more comprehensive way than this. Start here.
Dr. Jason Allen is an Ableton Certified Trainer, and a PhD in Music Composition and master of Electronic Sounds. His music has been heard internationally in film, radio, video games, and industrial sound, as well as the concert hall and theater. His 2015 album, Aniscorcia, reaching the CMJ Top200 Charts and radio broadcasts nationwide. In 2014 he was named a semi-finalist for the Grammy Music Educator Award.
He currently as an adjunct professor of composition at the University of St. Thomas, and the CEO of Slam Academy in Minneapolis.
Praise for classes by Dr. Jason Allen:
- «Without a doubt the best explanation and east of use that one can get. It leaves you enough room to go explore. The classes go by quick, so you can be on your way at being proficient. What are you wait for!»
- «Amazing — Seriously Loved It! I took all his courses and have to say I’m so happy! Learnt loads! Jason is an awesome teacher!»
- «I have never had any formal training in music at all. Trying to learn all the notes and how everything translated was a serious challenge. After going through this class, Dr. J has totally brought down the barriers. The content was very useful and was easy to grasp for me.»
- «I like these courses because you can get up and running quickly without having to spend hours of time wading through TMI (too much information!). Jason hits the high points but shows you what you need to know. Thanks!»
- «I’ve watched many other videos on scales and chords before, however, this one has been the best. I now understand minor scales and chords and even how to analyze songs. It really gave me the confidence to start producing music because I feel like I have some structure and guidelines to follow. AWESOME!»
- «Clear and Informative — Jason has a clear uncluttered style (with the important dashes of humor) of presentation that is focused on the important key aspects of this course. Recommended for those starting out!»
- «Dr. Allen does it again with his music theory series. This course really opened up everything I learned from the 1st section, and now I understand more about the composition side of things for music. I highly highly recommend this course to anyone!!! Really opened my eyes to many things I wasn’t aware of.»
- «The Best Teacher Ever, who makes you understand the ins & outs of Music Theory by all means without giving what you don’t want to know.»
- Anyone interested in learning to write music for fun, or as a potential new career
- Students who have written their own songs or compositions and are looking to explore composition deeper